Supporting with Maths at home
At Launde Primary School, we want all children to have access to a creative and ambitious mathematics curriculum, which provides them with the vital skills and knowledge that prepares them for their future lives. We instil a positive view of maths into every child, give them a safe environment to make mistakes which they can learn from and help them develop a deeper understanding of the world around them. Our aims are to:
· Ensure that children understand the relevance and importance of what they are learning about and why they are learning about it.
· Link learning in maths to everyday life and contextualise learning.
· Support children to become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, through varied and frequent practise with increasingly complex problems over time.
· Provide children with a wide range of resources and strategies that they can draw upon in order to solve problems.
· Help children be reflective learners and show self-awareness of their own strengths and weaknesses to develop a growth mindset.
· Celebrate the high standards and expectations that we have of children in the form of their maths books, classroom displays and personal awards.
· Teach children the subject specific vocabulary through the use of oracy and working walls within classroom practise, which will allow them to communicate and reason mathematically.
· Provide high quality first teaching in every lesson and give children the feedback, support and interventions they need to reach their full potential.
· Ensure there is a consistent journey for children’s learning as they move through the school, which progresses their understanding of maths step by step.
The following guides are a useful tool to help your child with their mathematics. There are suggestions of what questions you could ask based around activities you do at home. There is a booklet for each year group with objectives that most children should be able to achieve by the end of each year and a booklet of core facts that children need to know each year. Browse through the booklets for information as well as a variety of tasks, questions and activities.