Maths Curriculum progression of skills are below.
At Launde Primary School we want all children to have access to a creative and ambitious mathematics curriculum, which provides them with the vital skills and knowledge that prepares them for their future lives. We instil a positive view of maths into every child, give them a safe environment to make mistakes which they can learn from and help them develop a deeper understanding of the world around them. Our aims are to:
- Ensure that children understand the relevance and importance of what they are learning about and why they are learning about it.
- Link learning in maths to everyday life and contextualise learning.
- Support children to become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, through varied and frequent practise with increasingly complex problems over time.
- Provide children with a wide range of resources and strategies that they can draw upon in order to solve problems.
- Help children be reflective learners and show self-awareness of their own strengths and weaknesses to develop a growth mindset.
- Celebrate the high standards and expectations that we have of children in the form of their maths books, classroom displays and personal awards.
- Teach children the subject specific vocabulary through the use of oracy and working walls within classroom practise, which will allow them to communicate and reason mathematically.
- Provide high quality first teaching in every lesson and give children the feedback, support and interventions they need to reach their full potential.
- Ensure there is a consistent journey for children’s learning as they move through the school, which progresses their understanding of maths step by step.